aic7850 gets wedged while using an attached scanner

Jacob Luna Lundberg jacob at velius.chaos2.org
Sat May 19 14:43:29 PDT 2001

I'm running linux 2.4.4 with the aic7xxx 6.1.13 driver as a module so I
can use a MicroTek ScanMaker X6EL scanner.  It will scan some random
number of items, and then it seems to lose communication with the scanner.
This seems to require me to reboot linux to get things working again; just
rmmod and insmod of the driver aren't enough (insmod fails the first time,
but seems to run the second though).  When the scanner dies, I get the
messages below.  And Ideas?

If you need more information or have patches to test, I'd be glad to.

PCI: Enabling device 00:08.0 (0006 -> 0007)
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:08.0
ahc_pci:0:8:0: Host Adapter Bios disabled.  Using default SCSI device parameters
scsi0 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.1.13
        <Adaptec 2902/04/10/15/20/30C SCSI adapter>
        aic7850: Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 3/255 SCBs

  Vendor:           Model: scanner 636EL     Rev: 1.40
  Type:   Scanner                            ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi generic sg0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 6, lun 0, type 6

[...]

scsi0:0:6:0: Attempting to queue an ABORT message
(scsi0:A:6:0): Queuing a recovery SCB
scsi0:0:6:0: Device is disconnected, re-queuing SCB
Recovery code sleeping
(scsi0:A:6:0): Abort Message Sent
(scsi0:A:6:0): SCB 3 - Abort Completed.
Recovery SCB completes
Recovery code awake
aic7xxx_abort returns 8194
scsi0:0:6:0: Attempting to queue a TARGET RESET message
scsi0:0:6:0: Command not found
aic7xxx_dev_reset returns 8194
scsi0:0:6:0: Attempting to queue an ABORT message
(scsi0:A:6:0): Queuing a recovery SCB
scsi0:0:6:0: Device is disconnected, re-queuing SCB
Recovery code sleeping
(scsi0:A:6:0): Abort Message Sent
(scsi0:A:6:0): SCB 2 - Abort Completed.
Recovery SCB completes
Recovery code awake
aic7xxx_abort returns 8194
scsi0:0:6:0: Attempting to queue a TARGET RESET message
scsi0:0:6:0: Command not found
aic7xxx_dev_reset returns 8194
scsi0:0:6:0: Attempting to queue an ABORT message

[lots more of the same ...]

scsi: device set offline - not ready or command retry failed after bus reset: host 0 channel 0 id 6 lun 0
scsi : 0 hosts left.