problem with RH7.1 installer

Florin Andrei florin at sgi.com
Wed May 9 11:35:38 PDT 2001

On 09 May 2001 14:05:25 -0400, Doug Ledford wrote:
> Florin Andrei wrote:
> >
> > I'm trying to install Linux Red Hat 7.1 on a SGI 1200 server (Intel
> > 440GX motherboard with Adaptec 7xxx controllers), but the aic7xxx driver
> > fails to load itself. I get a bunch of errors on the console, and the
>
> The bug isn't in the aic7xxx driver.  We suspect it's a bug in the BIOS PIRQ
> routing table causing the PCI code to mis-route the aic7xxx interrupts.  It
> won't be solved without a new kernel or a BIOS update for that motherboard.
> We are working on a possible workaround right now.  You can track it by going
> to Bugzilla bug #29555 at Red Hat.

BIOS update is out of question. We need a general solution for all SGI
1200 systems *as they are*. So, we have to rely on new floppies.

You said you are working on it. Do you have some preliminary results, no
matter how untested? I'm just asking for a floppy that *might* work. I'm
not asking for a proper, bullet-proof solution. :-)
I'm willing to become a beta-tester for your workaround. Heck, i'll be
even an alpha-tester... :-)

--
Florin Andrei

"Imagine working in a secure environment and finding the string
_NSAKEY in the OS binaries without a good explanation." - Alan Cox