Naive question: 2.2.x or 2.4.x drvconfig equivalent in the w

Gregory Hosler gregory.hosler at eno.ericsson.se
Tue Jul 17 23:17:31 PDT 2001

On 17-Jul-01 Max TenEyck Woodbury wrote:
> Gregory Hosler wrote:
>>
>> On 17-Jul-01 Vincent Cojot wrote:
>>
>> When a scsi driver loads, either in kernel init, or when the driver itself
>> is loaded (e.g. insmod in Linux), the driver will send a "test unit ready"
>> to each possible lun on the scsi chain. It then makes note of what devices
>> are
>> available, and adds these to the scsi device list (/proc/scsi/scsi). As far
>> as
>> I am aware, this is ONLY done when the driver initializes itself, though the
>> last time I spent alot of time in the scsi layer (i.e. above the driver
>> layer)
>> was circa 1.0 / 1.2, and some things have changed since then.
>
> I'd have not checked and I probably should, but hasn't the "test unit ready"
> test been replaced by an "inquire" test. IIRC there was some discussion to
> the effect that TUR was contra-standard.

yes, I think it might have been, but the concept/idea and logic flow is
otherwise essentially the same.

rgds,

-Greg

E-Mail: Gregory Hosler <gregory.hosler at eno.ericsson.se>
Date: 18-Jul-01
Time: 14:32:13

   You can release software that's good, software that's inexpensive, or
   software that's available on time.  You can usually release software
   that has 2 of these 3 attributes -- but not all 3.