Naive question: 2.2.x or 2.4.x drvconfig equivalent in the w

Vincent Cojot coyote at step.polymtl.ca
Tue Jul 17 01:07:34 PDT 2001

Hello Gregory,

	First, I'd like to thank everyone on the list for all of the
answers that I got.. "add-single-device" isn't quite like drvconfig -i sd
but it will do the job.. :) Also, I am by no means knowledgeable about
SCSI in general and SCSI protocols in particular so I might have assumed
that a scsi bus reset would do a scsi bus scan (I have seen that happen a
few times but perhaps it was also some time ago..).  Perhaps I'm also
confused about the exact significance of these scsi methods.. Are bus
scans and resets not closely related to eachother? That is, can you force
a bus scan without a bus reset, for example?

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Gregory Hosler wrote:

> I'm not so sure that I would blindly assume that a scsi bus reset would
> blissfully do a scsi bus scan. I haven't looked at the code in quite a few
> years, but the early incarnations of the scsi layer didn't do a bus rescan
> when the bus was reset.
>
> What would be really nice would be the equivalent of support for hot-plugable
> as applied to scsi. AFAIAA this is not in either 2.2 or 2.4.
>
> regards,
>
> -Greg
>

> On 16-Jul-01 Mike Brown wrote:
> >> Is there a device-specific (perhaps?) way to force a bus reset?
> >
> > Take a look at <linux>/include/scsi/sg.h
> >
> > One of the ioctl()'s is defined as:
> >
> >#define SG_SCSI_RESET 0x2284
> >
> > with subcommands:
> >
> >#define         SG_SCSI_RESET_NOTHING   0
> >#define         SG_SCSI_RESET_DEVICE    1
> >#define         SG_SCSI_RESET_BUS       2
> >#define         SG_SCSI_RESET_HOST      3
> >
> > I gather you could get the job done via something like:
> >
> >#define MY_SG_DEV "/dev/sg0"
> >
> > int fd = open (MY_SG_DEV, O_RDWR);
> >
> > ioctl (fd, SG_SCSI_RESET, SG_SCSI_RESET_BUS);
> >

> > -Michael F. Brown, UMass Lowell Computer Science
> >
> > email:  mbrown at cs.uml.edu
> >
> > "Windows is a 32 bit patch to a 16 bit GUI based on an 8 bit
> >  operating system."        -FAQs (from #linux on efnet)
> >

> > To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at FreeBSD.org
> > with "unsubscribe aic7xxx" in the body of the message
>
> ----------------------------------
> E-Mail: Gregory Hosler <gregory.hosler at eno.ericsson.se>
> Date: 17-Jul-01
> Time: 11:19:37
>
>    You can release software that's good, software that's inexpensive, or
>    software that's available on time.  You can usually release software
>    that has 2 of these 3 attributes -- but not all 3.

Vincent S. Cojot, Computer Engineering. STEP project. _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~
Ecole Polytechnique de Montreal, Comite Micro-Informatique. _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,.
Linux Xview/OpenLook resources page _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._.,-*~'
http://step.polymtl.ca/~coyote  _.,-*~'`^`'~*-,._ coyote at step.polymtl.ca

They cannot scare me with their empty spaces
Between stars - on stars where no human race is
I have it in me so much nearer home
To scare myself with my own desert places.       - Robert Frost