Newbie help... linux 2.4 - timeout - corrupt disk info

Michael Breuer mbreuer at siac.com
Tue Jan 9 12:36:47 PST 2001


[If this has been discussed, I apologize.]
Under linux 2.4.0, I'm getting an intermittent error where the AIC-7892 adapter times out and reports back invalid information.

I get :
    scsi: unknown type 24 [followed by unprintable garbage].
    scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scsi1, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Inquiry 00 00 00 ff 00
....
    resize_dma_pool: unknown device type 24.

Yesterday, after moving to 2.4, I was OK the first couple of times I booted... then with no further changes to the kernel, I got the
above error.  When I did an rmmod aic7xxx and an insmod aic7xxx which cleared the problem.
Upon restarting the machine again, the problem recurred, and now will not clear.  I've restarted, power-cycled, etc.
I've tried a variety of parameters as suggested in README.aic7xxx [stdwlev 0 and 1, override_term, changed the timeout, etc., all to
no effect].  The problem doesn't seem to be hardware, as when I boot to the old 2.2.16 kernel, the problem does not exist.  Note:
the system is booting off of an IDE drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael Breuer
mbreuer at siac.com





To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at FreeBSD.org
with "unsubscribe aic7xxx" in the body of the message




More information about the aic7xxx mailing list