Help with APA-1480A

Dr. Guilherme Regis lgemedia at 200-171-183-182.dsl.telesp.net.br
Sat Dec 29 09:27:41 PST 2001

Hi,

> So you're booting from the install CD, the install program is detecting
> the drive, but hanging while, or after, talking/writing to the external
> SCSI hard drive, yes?
yes

> I would guess that there is a hardware problem: cabling, termination, SCSI
> ID designation, system BIOS setting, or other.
no

cable is okay
termination is okay (active)
SCSI ID is okay, ID=0 (the only device on the scsi bus)
system BIOS is okay, I double checked it using Adaptec Software
(for Windows).

> Also, you can get additional information at any point during installation
> by holding [Alt] and pressing [F1] through [F5].  See what these tell you.

CTRL-ALT-F3

in startPcmcia()
found cardbus pci adapter
need to load yenta_socket
going to insmod pcmcia_core.o (path is NULL)
going to insmod yenta_socket.o (path is NULL)
going to insmod ds.o (path is NULL)
cardmgr running as pid 44
cardmgr returned 0x0
probing buses
finished
found suggestions of xircom_cb
found suggestions of aic7xxx
found aic7xxx device
found suggestions of usb_uhui
found suggestions of yenta_socket
found devices just Probe is 0
going is insmod aic7xxx (path is NULL)

CTRL-ALT-F4

<4> SCSI bus is being reset for host 1 channel 0
<4> SCSI host abort (pid 0) time out - reseting
<4>                                  - trying harder
<4> SCSI bus is being reset for host 1 channel 0
<4> SCSI host abort (pid 0) time out - reseting
<4>                                  - trying harder
 .                  .                    .
 .                  .                    .
 .                  .                    .

System devices shown are:

- Intel 440BX/ZX 82443BX/ZX Host Bridge (AGP disabled)
- Intel 82371 AB PII X4 ISA, IDE, USB (usb_uhui)
- sonypi: Intel 82371 AB PII X4 ACPI Bus master IDE Controller
- i82365: Texas Instruments PCI 1311
- Neomagic NM2160 MagicGraphic 128XD
- aic7xxx: Adaptec AIC-1480 / APA-1480
- apa1480_cb: Adaptec APA-1480 SCSI Host adapter
- tulip_cb: Xricom CBEII-10/100 Cardbus

Thanks
  Luiz