Kernel hang with Adaptec 29160 and HP 6*40GB Surestore Autoloader

Justin T. Gibbs gibbs at scsiguy.com
Fri Aug 17 10:12:02 PDT 2001

>I booted with aic7xxx=verbose, and didn't get any more info than before.

If you are loading the driver with modprobe post boot, or you are using
an initial ramdisk, you need to either specify the verbose option
on the command line to modprobe or specify the setting in /etc/modules.conf.
For my initrd setups, I have something like this in /etc/modules.conf:

alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
options aic7xxx aic7xxx='"verbose.tag_info:{{8.8.8.8.8.8.8.8}}"'

If you just want the verbose setting, replace the above option line with:

options aic7xxx aic7xxx='"verbose"'

>Attached is a dmesg of just after moprobe'ing aic7xxx, and just before
>"mt -f /dev/st0 status" which crashed the machine. I did notice,
>however, that the 29160 BIOS (although finding the changer as ID3, which
>is correct) states "SCSI BIOS not installed" at the end of it's device
>detection.

This is because you don't have any bootable devices on the chain.

>The cable and terminator were supplied with the card. Unfortunately I
>have no other SCSI cables or terminators (except those running in our
>Windows server), and not too much experience with SCSI .... The cable is
>just longer than 0.5m (about 18 inches), with 3 LVD connectors, and a
>terminator after the last connector. The changer is connected to the
>last LVD connector, with the other end plugged into the SCSI card (as
>depicted in the manual). Tell me if photos would be useful, or if I
>should acquire other cables and terminator.

This is an internal changer?

Does the changer have a dip switch to enable termination?  If so, this
should be *off* for your configuration.  An over-terminated bus can be
just as deadly as an under-terminated one.

--
Justin