Any known bugs in aic7xxx 5.1.31 on RH7?

van Wyk, Ken Ken at para-protect.com
Wed Nov 22 11:37:24 PST 2000


Greetings,

I'm running aicxxx 5.1.31 (the latest version, to my knowledge) on Red Hat
7, and I'm seeing period system lock-ups that appear to be in the aic7xxx
driver.  First, the configuration:

- Supermicro PIIIDM3 motherboard, dual PIII/733 CPUs, 512 Mb memory, onboard
Adaptec SCSI-160 host adaptor
- SCSI-160 LVD bus with one Seagate 15000 RPM 18 Gb drive.  Nothing else on
SCSI bus.  Termination on motherboard and the LVD cable.
- RH7 with all current updates from Red Hat, running the 2.2.16smp kernel as
distributed with RH7

The system ran rock-solid under Red Hat 6.2 for a couple months prior to the
RH7 upgrade.  Not a single system lock-up under 6.2.

Under RH7, during heavy disk activity (like my nightly rsync cron job that
backs up my /home to my file server), the system "locks".  It can still be
pinged on the network, and some things still function.  For example, I can
telnet to it, but never get a login prompt; I can press a key, clear the
screen saver, but can't do anything in any windows.  A couple of times, I've
been able to switch over to the system console, and I've seen several "SCSI
Bus Resetting" error messages repeating ad infinitum.  So, it's not a
complete kernel panic or lock, but the system is nonetheless inoperable.

Has anyone else here seen similar problems?  Is this a known bug in 5.1.31?
Is there a patch or a newer version that might fix the problem?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I'll follow-up to the group
with any responses or other useful information that I get.

Thanks,

Ken van Wyk
ken at vanwyk.org
ken at para-protect.com


To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo at FreeBSD.org
with "unsubscribe aic7xxx" in the body of the message




More information about the aic7xxx mailing list