timeout again

Eric NOULARD Eric.Noulard at prism.uvsq.fr
Tue Jan 11 07:24:46 PST 2000

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 03:45:14PM +0000, philipp scherer wrote:
> Hi,
> perhaps somebody reading this can help me. As I saw,
> there are many questions in this mailing list which
> describe similar problems as I am experiencing but
> not much answers.
>
> My system contains
> Asus P2BS (onboard SCSI)  PII/400
> IBM 9GB U2W nvld disk
> Plextor 32x CDROM
> YAMAHA 4416 CDRW (I read about the LUN problem of YAMAHA CRWs)
>
> January 1999 I had problems to install linux as the SUSE bootdisk
> did not work. All the timeout and scsi reset problems which have been
> described so often. I compiled new kernels (2.0.35 and 2.2.5) with
> probe all LUNS disabled and reset time 15 secs and then linux booted
> and worked as expected (aicxx7 versions 5.1.2 and 5.1.5 were okay)
>
> Now I want to upgrade to a newer kernel but the corresponding
> driver versions (I tried 5.1.17 - 5.1.20) do not work.
> SCSI timeouts and resets when the YAMAHA (SCSI ID 2) is probed
>
> It seems that
> only those driver version work which download 407 sequencer commands.
>
> Can anybody tell me what I have to do to get the recent driver version
> running or is it possible to use the old 5.1.5 version with a new
> kernel ?

	I don't know if combining old driver with new kernel works,
but I have THE SAME config as your's (strange enough :)) and it work
perfectly with 2.2.13 stock kernel compiled with SMP support.
	The base distribution is SuSE 6.2 (which was updated from 6.1)
and I recompiled the SMP kernel myself.

	I've heard 1 problem with the Yamaha CD-RW and the AIC7890 SCSI
chipset which on the P2B-DS(I just realize that yours may not be a dual board?)

	The problem was due to a firmware problem of the CD-RW 4416S.
	If I remember you should have at least version Rev: 1.0g of the CRW4416S.
Look at /proc/scsi/scsi with a kernel you can boot. I will seek my e-mail archive
in ordre to see if it is really the sae problem.
	DO NOT upgrade firmware without being sure it is the problem.

	Which kernel did you try?

--
        Eric NOULARD
Groupe ADULIS                 *  Laboratoire PRiSM
E-mail: E.Noulard at adulis.fr   *  E-mail: Eric.Noulard at prism.uvsq.fr