aic7xxx and Adaptec 2940UW-PRO problems

Paul Kinzelman pkinz at timesync.com
Thu Sep 16 09:53:31 PDT 1999

I'm seeing some problems with Redhat Linux 6.0 and
a 2940UW-PRO scsi card driving some Sony SCSI tape
drives. The 2940UW (a year or so old) works fine.

Note that the 2940UW-PRO seems to be quite a bit
different than the 2940UW. The manual says it's OK
to use all 3 SCSI sockets simultaneously
on the -PRO because the bus is "segmented".
On the older 2940UW, you could use any two
of the 3 sockets. Also, the -PRO detects improper
termination and prevents the system from booting
unless it likes the termination.

The drives are identified just fine during boot.
But when I try to run the drives with the system
up, I seem to be getting garbage from the drives.
Sometimes the process just hangs. But sometimes
(on some drives) what I get back is incorrect
(the drive says it's write-locked when it's not, etc.).

Has anybody else seen these problems? Is there
an updated driver I should be using?

--
-Paul Kinzelman, San Jose, CA, ISD Corp
email: pkinz at timesync.com