timeouts with linux-2.2.13

Elgin Lee ehl at funghi.com
Wed Nov 17 21:14:09 PST 1999

I don't know if this is true for you, but my problem went away when I
used SCSI SELECT to reduce the speed for my IBM DGHS09U from 40Mbps to
20Mbps.  I suspect cabling issues at this point, as my SCSI cable
chain is probably at about the length limit for 40Mbps operation.

As to why it worked before my upgrade, perhaps the new driver is
faster than the old one! :-)

--Elgin

On Mon, Nov 08, 1999 at 09:27:38PM -0500, Elgin Lee wrote:
> Hmm -- I wonder if the IBM DGHS18V is behaving poorly with the latest
> driver.  I just upgraded from Red Hat 5.2 to Red Hat 6.1 and almost
> immediately encountered similar hangs.  During the two days that I've
> been on 6.1, I've encountered two complete hangs necessitating reboot.
>
> Upon rebooting, I get parity errors and timeouts.  I've had to power
> cycle my system and external disk numerous times before I can get a
> clean boot.
>
> Curiously, the disk that seems most hung is an IBM DGHS09U.  The last
> time that the hang occurred, I know that I was engaged in I/O with
> that disk.
<snip>