SOFTWARE-RAID-TIPS (was: Adaptec 7890 and RAID portIII RAID controller Linux Support)

There can be only one. bleh at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 22 04:53:35 PST 1999

Osma Ahvenlampi wrote:

> Beau James <bjames at cisco.com> writes:
> > --> raid it'll cause an unacceptable loss of space... If you have to put
> > --> /, /usr, /var and /home in the raid, how many disks will you need?
> >
> > Why bother breaking these directories into separate partitions,
> > especially if you are going to put all of them onto a RAID array?
>
> Well, there is the issue of different mount options (nosuid,noexec,etc)
> that you might want to set for some directories. Another issue is
> system vs data separation and user quotas.
>
> > Separate partitions is largely a historical artifact of *nix, based
> > on the limited size of disks.  What is the benefit of perpetuating it?

	I also do it to aid in backups ... So since /, /home, /usr,
/windows (a partition I use samba to serve to windows machines), and
/tmp are all on seperate partitions, it's really easy to store each to
a seperate tape and to exclude /tmp altogether ...  That, and I've been
told it's safer since if a section of your hard drive goes bad, it's
less likely to effect all your partitions, but rather only the partition
that has the bad sectors.  Is there any truth to that?  I remember on an
older system something in my /usr partition got hosed ... some
/usr/local
dir would crash the system if you went in there, but since /usr was on a
seperate partition I could just umount it and copy the rest of my stuff
to another computer.

--

|        ,..       | Need a place to run your MUCK/MUD?  Need a shell
|
|     ("\|||/")    | account?  Email account?  Contact me or visit
|
|      //6_6\\     | http://serpentine.dyn.ml.org
|
|     ./(_Y_)\`
|     '//`-'\\`    | root at serpentine.dyn.ml.org, tanabi at bellsouth.net,
|
|     //|||||\\    | bleh at bellsouth.net, sdconley at eos.ncsu.edu