RTFM pointer for meaning of "offset" and "period".

Brett Smith Bsmith at Miltope.com
Wed Jun 23 06:58:03 PDT 1999

Transfer period factor field in SCSI (taken from ANSI SCSI Parallel
Interface-2 (SPI-2) ANSI 1142D-T10)

00h-09h	Reserved for higher future data rates
0ah		25.0ns (Typical of FAST-40)
0bh		30.3ns (Typical of FAST-40)
0ch		50.0ns (Typical of FAST-20)

		The following is the period factor * 4ns
0dh-18h	 50- 96ns	(Typical of FAST-20)
19h-31h	100-196ns	(Typical of FAST-10)
32h-ffh	200-1020ns	(Typical of FAST-5 and the very slow....)

The REQ/ACK offset is the maximum number of REQ assertions allowed to be
outstanding before a corresponding ACK assertion is received at the target.

The Seagate Cheetah ST118202LC should give you RAW Sustained throughput of
15 Mbytes/sec.
The maximum I/O data rate on this drive is FAST-20 in Single-ended mode and
FAST-40 in LVD mode.

If your SCSI transfer period is set to 43. 2bh then something needs to be
tweak, your system is not running at it peak performance.