aic 3940 problem

Ivan Kohler ivan at iqualify.com
Thu Jun 17 14:44:41 PDT 1999

On Thu, Jun 17, 1999 at 09:04:44AM +0100, Nick Taylor wrote:
> Hi
>
> So is anyone out there using 3940s with recent linux and aic drivers?

Yes.

I have three servers with 3940's, each with one drive connected to each
SCSI controller.

One machine is running kernel 2.2.7, no problems so far.

One machine is running kernel 2.2.10, no problem upgrading to it.

The third machine, upon upgrading to 2.2.10 (in fact, the same exact
kernel image), goes into one of those infinite SCSI reset loops on boot
(though it eventually hangs with some sort of kernel fault).  It's
identical hardware to the machine that I upgraded with no problems. I
checked the BIOS and Adaptec BIOS settings, they're identical as well.
Fscking *weird*.

Specifically, does anyone know what information from the infinite reset
loops should be provided to help troubleshoot these sorts of problems?

--
Ivan Kohler <ivan at iqualify.com>