aha2930u2

Jonathan Stimmel stimmj at rpi.edu
Sun Jun 6 10:05:20 PDT 1999

On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, Robert W. Rowe wrote:

> >Second q: in brief, how does the driver go about assigning devices? by PCI
> >slot number? Or, in other words, what do I do to make sure my existing
> devices
> >end up being the same linux devices after I install a second host adapter?

Linux assigns /dev/ devices in the order that it finds them; so if you
have:
  - adaptor 1 : hard drives at 0 & 2, CDROM at 3
  - adaptor 2 : hard drives at 1 & 5, CDROM at 3
and Linux scans the first adaptor first, you'll get the following:
  /dev/sda  == adaptor 1, device 0
  /dev/sdb  == adaptor 1, device 2
  /dev/sdc  == adaptor 2, device 1
  /dev/sdd  == adaptor 2, device 5
  /dec/scd0 == adaptor 1, device 3
  /dev/scd1 == adaptor 2, device 3
If the new adaptor (adaptor 2) is recognised first, then you'll mess up
your current devices. I'm afraid I don't know whether the order is
determined by PCI slot or IRQ number.

This is all assuming that both adaptors are recognised properly by the
kernel; I don't know what kind of "gotchas" are involved in installing
multiple controllers (I believe the documentation on modules talks about
this scenario a bit...).

--

Jonathan Stimmel                    Pager:  415-253-7202
jstimmel at taos.com                 jstimmel.page at taos.com

1180 Reed Ave #55                    Home:  408-244-5258
Sunnyvale, CA 94086                  Cell:  650-520-4164