Advice on disk purchase?

Brian Ristuccia brianr at osiris.978.org
Fri Jan 15 09:29:05 PST 1999

On Fri, Jan 15, 1999 at 12:19:02PM -0500, Peter S Galbraith wrote:

> A provider is suggesting I might want to buy an Ultra-Wide disk
> (Barracuda 9.1 GB) instead of an ultra (narrow) version to put on
> my Adaptec 2940U controller.  He said that with a 80->50 pin
> adapter, the disk will function as a narrow disk, and I can buy
> an ultra-wide controller on my next computer and re-use the disk
> to its full capacity.
>
> Good idea or not?

Very good idea. The uw and ultra(narrow) versions of the disk are about the
same price, and your drive will be obsolete sooner if you get the narrow
version.

For example, if you decide to add more disks in the future to a wide
controller, a non-wide disk would use twice as much bandwidth as it
transferred data.

--
Brian Ristuccia
brianr at osiris.978.org