Adaptec 7890 and RAID portIII RAID controller Linux Support

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Thu Feb 25 23:47:28 PST 1999

"christian.klein" wrote:

> scsi0 is a 2940UW, scsi1 and 2 are the channels on a buslogic bt-932
> (narrow dual channel)
>
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ST32550N         Rev: 0021
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ST34501N         Rev: 0015
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: PLEXTOR  Model: CD-ROM PX-32CS   Rev: 1.00
>   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ST34572N         Rev: 0784
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
>   Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ST34572N         Rev: 0784
>   Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
>
> the last two are striped, one on each channel of the buslogic controller,
> mounted as /usr.  there is not much io intensive stuff done on the machine
> except for bonnie runs ;-).  i do rip a _lot_ of audio to wavs from the
> 32x ultraplex attached to the 2940 to /usr/local/var/spool/wav on the
> striped array. i doubt that is enough io to make the bug rear it's ugly
> head.  is there anything i can do to try to force this error to
> occur?  i'm running 2.2.1-ac6.  i do have a 3940UW, would you recommend
> that i buy 68pin to 50 ping adapters and use that instead of the buslogic
> card?
>
> btw,
> the 32550N is an nt installation, the  ST34501N  (narrow cheetah) is my
> root partition, and the 2 4-gig cudas are striped as /usr
>
> the only slightly nonstandard thing i do is
> make sure and edit /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/hosts.c and reorder
> the array so devices get detected in the order i want them.

If they are working for you, then I wouldn't mess with it.  However,
remember what I've said and if you do get any strange errors in the
future, then think about doing just what you mentioned :)  I will also
note that it appears to be a CPU race condition, so the faster the CPU
or the slower the drives, the less like it is to happen.  In our case,
it was on an aging Pentium 133 machine that had 4xUW and 2xU2W drives,
so the drive speed to CPU speed ratio was quite high.

--
  Doug Ledford   <dledford at redhat.com>
   Opinions expressed are my own, but