achieving 80 mbps??

Utku Er erutku at netone.net.tr
Wed Feb 3 07:05:09 PST 1999

   Hi,

  I am using Adaptec 2940U2W and Seagate cheetah 9lp-ST39102LW drive. I
think thas card has a chip AIC-7890.

  I have redhat 5.2 kernel 2.0.36 installed and I compile aic7xxx
support into the kernel it works ok and my linux only sees 20mbps rate.
what do I have to do to reach the 80mbps rates?

 do I have to change something in /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx.c?
 or giving a boot parameter of aic7xxx="ultra" to kernel ?
 or do I have to change the rate somewhere in menuconfig ?

  I recheck the terminations, scsi hdd is in LVD mode and the cable is
U2W capable. Termination is like: I have an adapter and a seagate drive
in the last slot in the cable. And there are no devices in the slots
between the two. I have a terminator in the end. like:
ADAPTER-----EMPTY_SLOT---EMPTY_SLOT----DRIVE----TERMINATOR.

here is the startup:
------------------------------------
kernel: (scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra2 SCSI host adapter> found at PCI
11/0
kernel: (scsi0) Wide Channel, SCSI ID=7, 32/255 SCBs
kernel: (scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 407 instructions
downloaded
kernel: scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI)
5.1.4/3.2.4
kernel:        <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra2 SCSI host adapter>
kernel: scsi : 1 host.
kernel:   Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST39102LW         Rev: 0005
kernel:   Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision:
02
kernel: Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
kernel: scsi : detected 1 SCSI disk total.
kernel: (scsi0:0:0:0) Synchronous at 20.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
kernel: SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 17783240 [8683
MB] [8.7 GB]

thanks in advance,

Utku Er.