aic7xxx BIOS and The Linux driver.

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Wed Apr 7 21:10:34 PDT 1999

"Blake C. Lewis" wrote:

> I have a problem I have been trying to diagnose. Linux runs great. You
> guys are doing a bangup job. My machine works great, I'm using the 2.2.5
> kernel distribution.
> I have the following:
>         ASUS P2B-DS
>                 7890 with the 3860? Tranceiver
> I was wondering: How much does the Linux drivers use the Adaptec BIOS?

Long enough to get the basic chip and device configuration as set in the
EZ SCSI BIOS area and that's it.

> Why do I ask? Well NT can't seem to operate the chip set. During install
> when I load the U2W drivers I get a little disk activity before NT core
> dumps. I have tryed downloaded drivers as well as the drivers that came
> with the Mother board. It is my understanding that the Linux drivers
> replace some, if not all, of the aha-bios. Could it be that I have
> corrupt bios?

We don't touch the BIOS.  Not to replace it or otherwise.  We simply
ignore the BIOS.  We replace the sequencer on the card though.  But,
that shouldn't cause the NT equivelant of a core dump.

> I am going to flash the system bios but I do not know if that will
> replace the aha-bios. Are they seperate mosters or are they integrated?

Most motherboards will upgrade both at the same time.

> I guess if that doesn't work, could it be corrupt flash memory also?
> Am I barking up the wrong tree here?
> Expertise on these matters is not easy to find.

Most likely your problem is an NT driver problem.

--
  Doug Ledford   <dledford at redhat.com>
   Opinions expressed are my own, but