Adaptec 2940UW

Jan Mönnich jm15 at irz301.inf.tu-dresden.de
Wed Sep 30 14:10:12 PDT 1998

Hi!

I've upgraded from SuSE 5.2 to SuSE 5.3.
They seems to have a new SCSI-Driver for the Adaptec 2940UW (aic7xxx). But I
can't load
neither the kernel-driver nor the module. The old driver and DOS/Win9x/WinNT
don't make problems.

The adapter does not report any error but can't detect any disc or cd-rom
(some like "aic7xxx:  total drives found", without a number).

I've a pioneer cd-rom (ultra) on ID-2 and a IBM-DDRS-UW on ID-6. Does the
driver require the drives on ID 0 and 1?

This problem I've seen also on another computer with only a cdrom on ID-2.
But sometimes the module can be loaded (autoload by the kernel) (the kernel
compiled driver does not function).

Thanks for any response,

Jan