correction: creating redhat bootdisks _IMAGES_ !!

Barry Weinstein bweinste at value.net
Mon Sep 28 20:30:50 PDT 1998

Axel,

I got the following direct from Redhat support

"...The only was to do this is to replace this the
driver on the disk with this one.  To do this, you will need access to
another Linux box.

First, mount the boot floppy and copy the "initrd.img" file over to the
hard disk, and rename it "initrd.gz".  Then "gunzip initrd.gz" to create
the "initrd" image.  You will need to mount this image as a loopback
device.  On a well configured system the command would be "mount initrd -o
loop mnt" (assuming that "mnt" is the directory you want to mount it
under).  After this, cd to your mnt directory, and then to "modules".
Here you will find a "modules.cgz" file.  You will need to un-gzip this to
a modules.cpio file and use cpio replace the module with the new one. Then
recompress the images and replace them on the disk.

Sincerely,
Phil"

Good luck Axel,

Barry