Problem with RH5.1 pre10 boot disk

Laurent Guerby guerby at club-internet.fr
Thu Sep 24 13:03:12 PDT 1998

Hi,

I have an ASUS P2B-DS PC with the following hardware:
- 8G IDE HD
- 4.5G IBM Ultra SCSI disk (ID:0) (note: not Wide, just Ultra)
- PLEXTOR SCSI CD-ROM
- Only one processor for now (PII 350), 128M SDRAM

It is running Zin95 from which I can use both disks and CD without
problems so far.

I'm trying to install RH5.1 Linux on it. With the original RH5.1
boot disk, it boots fine, but of course after a few steps
in the configuration process, it fails at detecting the SCSI
card (AIC7890).

With the RH5.1 boot disk from ftp://ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx/
it boots but after a few kernel messages, I get a load of

end_request: I/O error, dev 01:00, sector N

with N growing from something (can't see, scrolls too fast ;-) up to
4194300 then it just stops (I guess the magic number is somewhat
linked to the size of the disk ;-).

As specified in README.aic7xxx, I tried to pass
aic7xxx=panic_on_abort,verbose:0x1ffff
but it didn't change anything so I guess the problem
is not directly linked with the driver, but with the way
the boot disk is built.

Any idea of what's going on? What should I try next?

Thanks for your time,

--LG