5.1.0_pre10 AND freebsd (latest CAM) fail...

Justin T. Gibbs gibbs at narnia.plutotech.com
Tue Sep 15 16:01:41 PDT 1998

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.980915121724.414B-100000 at b5.phy.duke.edu> you wrote:

> Under freebsd, I booted, entered the command line interface, and turned
> off all devices but the fdc0, ahc, aic, sc0 and scd0 devices (thinking
> the latter two might be needed?).

You can't disable PCI devices from "user config" yet in FreeBSD, but you
should kill anything that you don't have in the system.  scd0 is the
Sony CDROM device (uses a proprietary CDROM bus) and I doubt you have one.
The aic driver is for the Adaptec aic6360/6260 parts and should not even
appear in the CAM boot floppy as CAM does not support that device (yet).
Are you positive you have the correct floppy?

ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/cam/3.0CAM-19980906-SNAP/floppies/boot.flp

> I also tried a full probe of all
> devices, partial probes of just the non-conflicting devices, and several
> other things, but this allowed me to focus on the problem.

Don't try doing this from userconfig.  It is known to cause problems.
The correct way to determine exactly what happened is to disable all
probes you don't need, let the system boot up to the installation menu,
then hit <scroll-lock> followed by <pg-up> to review the boot messages.

--
Justin