5.1.0_pre8 with no MMAP

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Sep 14 09:10:05 PDT 1998

On Sat, 12 Sep 1998, Doug Ledford wrote:

> Robert G. Brown wrote:
> >
> > Dear Doug,
> >
> > I tried 5.1.0_pre8 (in 2.0.35) with MMAPIO undefined.  No go.  It did
> > get just a hair further (maybe) -- it actually found the WD hard disk
> > before starting its loop.
> >
> > Any progress on your PowerEdge 2300?
>
> I just got through doing a full installation of RedHat-5.1 onto a Poweredge
> 2300 with 3 Seagate Cheetah LVD disks.  I used my latest boot disk which now
> works, and it did like all the other machines I've talked about.  There was
> one reset cycle at the startup, and then it worked fine from then on out.
> I've even verified that I can still use the floppy drive since that was one
> of the problems people have been reporting is that the floppy drive quits
> working after you load up the aic7xxx driver.  I'll be doing more work on it
> over the weekend, but that's where things stand now.

OK, I'll try again with whatever the current aic7xxx sources are on the
site.  Did you make any changes besides commenting out the MMAPIO line
-- is this a new revisions per se?

BTW, I did grab the latest freebsd cam/boot that Justin kindly posted
the URL for and it does indeed boot up the system that wouldn't boot
linux 5.1.0_pre8 (no MMAPIO) without complaint or parity error.  I
didn't have time to try booting with the linux kernel afterwards, to see
if the freebsd "resanes" the interface the way NT appeared to.
(Remember, any word in English can be verbed...:-)

I also do have a system in reserve that has never been booted -- it
should be ideal to see if this fixes everything.  From my previous
experience with Adaptec, it might well be possible for your new 2300 to
work by my slightly older ones not to work if Adaptec upgraded their
BIOS in the meantime.  If I continue to have problems, I'll report the
BIOS revision number as well so that we can be sure that we are running
the same firmware.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu