lilo: "not the first disk"

Jim Thompson jct at blkbox.com
Tue Sep 8 17:24:26 PDT 1998

    Harvey> Don't worry about the message; it is right but you
    Harvey> are misinterpreting it as a problem while it is only an
    Harvey> informational thingie.

OK, I understand the relevance of the planar BIOS discussion a little
better now.

However, in my case at least, the error message is more than an
informational thingie, it's a real won't-boot thingie.  There is a
similar lilo message, something to the effect of "warning: BIOS drive
0x81 may not be accessible" that I've learned I can safely ignore.  But
the "not first disk" error always means an unbootable disk.

Thanks again for the explanation.

Jim
--
   _| ~-    Jim Thompson               |   Flinging magnetic curses...