success with ASUS P2B-S (AIC7890) and hints

Alex Farber alex at kawo2.rwth-aachen.de
Tue Sep 1 18:24:42 PDT 1998

Hi,

I'd like to thank you all for the patience and hints and Doug
for the developing patch - I have finally installed Red Hat 5.1
Linux on my UW SCSI drive connected to P2B-S mainboard. Some
people asked me to tell them, if I am successful, so here's a
small summary (I am new to Linux, so consider it solely as hints):

   1) The patch is located at
   ftp://ftp.dialnet.net/pub/linux/aic7xxx/
   2) You apply it by copying it to /usr/src/linux/
   3) Then: patch -p1 -E < aic7xxx-5.1.0-pre8-2.0.35.patch
   4) Then compile kernel (make mrproper; make xconfig; and so on)
   5) Then you add it to other images and run lilo.

It worked for me and I was able to mount the SCSI-disk from my
older IDE-drive. Now you can make your own install diskette for
Red Hat. There are some hints in the attached file and at
http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith/rhjol-technical.html
and ftp://halef.rhrz.uni-bonn.de/pub/images/README

Unfortunately it didn't work for me. I think I selected some wrong
kernel compiler options. Anyway, I am too sick of compiling kernels,
to do it now - I took an install image by Felix (thanks!) from
ftp://halef.rhrz.uni-bonn.de/pub/images/ and it worked for me :-)
There are also some other install disk images at
ftp://calculix.mathematik.uni-stuttgart.de/pub/juergen/aic7xxx/ and
http://www.cs.utsa.edu/research/AI/bylander/linux/dell-precision.html
Maybe they will work for you (depends on which modules you need).

Finally after the installation, I had the problem to make lilo
use the MBR of the /dev/sda, it kept telling "not the first disk",
even though it was (entered in BIOS) The solution is to use the lines
   disk=/dev/sda
   bios=0x80
in the lilo.conf file (see the attachment).

Greetings
Alex

--
http://www.simplex.ru/pref.html