Ultra2 transfer mode? Works!

Michael Kunze mkunze at ivw.de
Mon Oct 5 16:00:59 PDT 1998

Greg Hutchison wrote:

> I just sorted this out here this morning on three separate systems with
> pre-15 and IBM Ultrastar drives.
> Drives are variously FastWide (Ultrastar XP and 2XP) and Ultra Fast Wide
> (Ultrastar 2XP and Ultrastar 9ZX).
>
> Two of the systems are ASUS P2B-DS's with onboard AIC7890 controllers,
> the other uses an onboard AIC7880.
>
> In all case with pre-15, the IBM drives were reporting as Wide/Async
> where other drives (Quantum Atlas) were reporting Wide/Sync.
>
> Jumpering all the Ultrastars to 'Disable Target Initiated Synchronous
> Negotiation', (forcing the initiator to negotiate for Synchronous and/or
> wide transfers), corrected the behavior of the pre-15 driver - all
> drives are now reported as Wide/Synchronous at 20Mb/s or 40Mb/s as
> appropriate.
>
> Earlier revisions of the driver behaved differently. Some negotiated
> sync/wide UNLESS tagged queuing was turned on.

Greg,

you are totally right here! After rejumpering the disk, i get wide/synchronous
transfers at 80 MByte/sec.

Nevertheless, Doug should do something on that funny driver behaviour as
generally disks are jumpered to allow target initiated synchronous
negotiation.

Thanks for your hints

Michael

BTW: Thanks also to Doug, who is doing a great job fighting through the
Adaptec specs. Without his efforts all of us P2B owners had to 'work' with
Windows (...shudder...;->..) NT.