Ultra2 transfer mode?

Richard Kaszeta kaszeta at me.umn.edu
Mon Oct 5 12:28:20 PDT 1998

Michael Kunze writes ("Ultra2 transfer mode?"):
>pre 15 works for me without problems on an Asus P2B-LS. There is still a
>question left i asked some mails ago. If i take a look into
>/proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0, i see
>
>Statistics:
>(scsi0:0:0:0)
>Device using Wide/Async transfers.
>                         ^ ^ ^ ^
>Device Negotiation Settings
>Period Offset Bus Width
>User       000    000        1
>Goal       000    000        1
>Current    000    000        1
>Total transfers 3595 (3370 read;225 written)
>blks(512) rd=16267; blks(512) wr=654
>
>This should be definitely synchronous, because the harddisk is an IBM
>DGHS09V Ultra2-SCSI, which of course is capable of ultra2 synchronous
>transfers.
>
>So, what is the REAL transfer mode? 80 Mbyte/s synchronous or 20 MByte/s
>or
>less asynchronous?

I would suspect for some reason it is async, since if I look at my
machine (P2B-LS with ST34573LW), I get

Statistics:
(scsi0:0:0:0)
  Device using Wide/Sync transfers at
  80.0 MByte/sec, offset 15
    Device Negotiation Settings
        Period Offset Bus Width
User       010    127        1
Goal       010    127        1
Current    010    015        1
    Total transfers 119835 (33099 read;86736 written)
      blks(512) rd=174929; blks(512) wr=305836

--
Richard W Kaszeta 			Graduate Student/Sysadmin
bofh at me.umn.edu				University of MN, ME Dept