AIC-789x PCI Ultra2 SCSI Controller Driver

Justin T. Gibbs gibbs at narnia.plutotech.com
Fri May 29 17:26:48 PDT 1998

In article <356DA4A8.E7CFABCF at cs.cmu.edu> you wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I noticed that the AIC7xxx driver does not work for some of the newer
> cards.

The aic7xxx driver for *Linux* does not work with them, but the
one for FreeBSD does.  I have not added in the PCI IDs for the
aic7896 (twin bus Ultra2 chips) based products yet as I haven't
been able to test them, but supporting them should be trivial.

> I have been told that Adaptec does not release the specs, so
> hinders their development.

You've been told wrong.

> Is there still hope that a driver for the
> AHA-294xU2/295xU2/AIC789x PCI Ultra2 SCSI controller is going to be
> available any time soon?

Yes.  It's simply a matter of porting the code to Linux.

--
Justin