aic7xxx: waiting list inconsistency & spurious interrrupt errors

Radhika Lal rlal at ff101.undp.org
Fri May 29 11:31:18 PDT 1998

Hi :
I'm not subscribed to this mailing list but desperately need help.
I'm trying to install Redhat linux 5.0 (for this server we can't wait
for 5.1 to come out) on the following :

Dell PowerEdge 2200
300MHZ PENTIUMr II dual  PROCESSOR
Adaptec integrated SCSI aic7xxx controller
9GB ULTRA/WIDE SCSI-3 HARD DRIVE
12/24GB DDS-3 scsi TAPE BACKUP
CD-ROM DRIVE: 12/24X SCSI CD-ROM
3COM 3C905 10/100 Ethernet, PCI Adapter,

Redhat 5.0 installation detects the scsi controller as 2940 and
periodically I've been able to  complete the installation ok.
On other occasions when trying to read from the cdrom, the system
crashes with the following message: kernel panic: aic7xxx waiting
list inconsistency scb index 255, nubscbs=0

On the occasion that I am able to complete the install, on rebooting,
the machine goes into kernel panic again with a message about
spurious interrupts and then aieeee: scheduling interrupt 000016...
(I've unfortunately misplaced the sheet of paper with the exact
message).

Thanks in advance
Radhika Lal