Adaptec termination problem...

Pavel Korensky pavelk at dator3.anet.cz
Fri May 29 03:41:59 PDT 1998

At 13:32 27.5.1998 -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>On Sat, 23 May 1998, OLK wrote:
>
>> Try 2xIBM+1xConner+CDROM with AHA-2940 and you'll see only one
>> combination
>> working :
>> IBM=ID0,IBM=ID1,CDROM=ID2,Conner=ID3 or higher and Terminated.
>> Chances are 99.9%, that all other combinations especially with one
>> terminated IBM-HD and other(IBM) not, will fail.
>> Rule of Thumb: Adaptec+IBM's+Whatever --> Desaster
>
>Gee, this is really interesting.  In the sense of the Chinese curse,
>of course.  Does this mean that "Internal, jumpered termination
>doesn't work on IBM drives" even if they are the only drive on a given
>SCSI branch?  What about external termination?  If you run a computer
>store, you presumably have tried this -- do they have terminators that
>plug onto the ends of those nifty internal ribbon cables?

Hmmm, I am running Adaptec + IBM HDs (several different types) for a long
time without any problem. I am using AHA-2942U and AHA-2940UW. OS are Linux
and WinNT.
My former configuration was:

AHA2942U - 1x IBM(1GB) 1xMAXTOR(0.5GB) 1xCDROM(NEC) 1xExabyteDAT(termin)

AHA2940UW - 2xIBM(1GB) 2xIBM(2GB wide one terminated) 1xJAZ 1xCD-R(terminated)

and HP scanner on external connector of AHA2942U.

Currently I am running:

AHA2940UW - 2xIBM(2G wide) 1xIBM(9GB wide, terminated) 1xHP Scanjet (termin)
AHA2942U - 1xCDROM, 1xDAT, 1xJAZ 1xCD-R terminated

Everything was and is without any problem. Strange

Best regards

PavelK

* Pavel Korensky                                                         *
* DATOR3 LAN Services spol. s r.o.                                       *
* Modranska 1895/17, 143 00, Prague 4, Czech Republic                    *
* PGP Key fingerprint:  F3 E1 AE BC 34 18 CB A6  CC D0 DA 9E 79 03 41 D4 *
* SUMMA SCIENTIA - NIHIL SCIRE                                           *