AHA2940U problem

Jim Henderson jim at softplanners.com
Tue May 5 16:04:10 PDT 1998

I'm new to this list, so I haven't seen any previous discussion on point.

Hardware Config
===============
Cyrix 6x86-P150+ GP, 120 MHz
Triton II VX chipset
AHA-2940U S9
Seagate Barracuda 2 GB drive 32550N with active termination, power from disk.

Software Config
===============
RH 5.0, kernel 2.0.32-3
aic7xxx.c v 1.119 1997/06/27 19:39:18 gibbs
RedHat's gcc -9 fix for Cyrix chips:
gcc-2.7.2.3-9.i386.rpm
gcc-2.7.2.3-9.src.rpm
gcc-c++-2.7.2.3-9.i386.rpm
gcc-objc-2.7.2.3-9.i386.rpm

Problem
=======
The disribution kernel works properly but I have problems when I use a custom kernel. When I use kernel config:

CONFIG_SCSCI_AIC7XXX=y
CONFIG_AIC7XXX_TAGGED_QUEUING=y or n
CONFIG_OVERRIDE_CMDS=n
CONFIG_AIC7XXX_PAGE_ENABLE=y or n
CONFIG_AIC7XXX_PROC_STATS=y
CONFIG_AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY=15

Build, install and reboot, I get the following:

Warning - detection auto-termination. Please verify driver detected settings and use manual termination if necessary.
Single channel, SCSI ID 7, 16/16 SCBs, QFull 16, QMask 0x1f.
scsi1: Adaptec AHA274X/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSCI) 4.1/3.2
Kernel panic: aic7xxx: AWAITING_MSG for an SCB that does not have a
waiting message.
Aiee: scheduling an interrupt 0016c224

I get the last line several times, then the machine hangs.

Also
====
Where would I find Doug Ledfords patches?