RH 5.0 boot.image

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Tue Mar 24 11:04:05 PST 1998

Robert Wilhelm wrote:

> I hope this is not too far off topic.
>
> I need a RH 5.0 boot.image with an newer aicxxx driver,
> since the original one ( Linux 2.0.32 kernel) crashes sooner or later during install.
> I have an 2940UW card and a wide scsi HD.

I don't have a RedHat-5.0 system to create a boot disk for, so there hasn't
been one made yet.  If someone out there is inclined, they can take a look
at the boot disk I made for 4.2 along with the accompanying instructions to
see what I think (IMHO) is the best way to go about this task.  If they do
get one put together, then if they'll forward me that boot disk, I'll add it
to my ftp site.  I would also appreciate it if they would forward any
special/needed instructions in order to use the boot disk so that they can
be placed right along with it in a README file.  The boot disks I already
have can be found at ftp.dialnet.net in
/pub/linux/aic7xxx/boot_disks/5.0.x/distro-name.  The 5.0.x is the aic7xxx
driver version used on that boot disk and the distro-name is the name of the
distribution the boot disk was made for.

Side note: until the 5.0.9 aic7xxx patch is released, I recommend people use
the 5.0.7 version.  The 5.0.8 version is a sort of intermediate step to
5.0.9 and has some problems that are (hopefully) fixed in my current 5.0.9
working set, but I'm waiting on feedback.

--

 Doug Ledford  <dledford at dialnet.net>
  Opinions expressed are my own, but