AIC-7895

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Wed Mar 18 10:06:53 PST 1998

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Andrew J. Doane wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been researching to see if the AIC-7895 (found on-board on the Tyan
> S1696DLUA dual motherboard) is currently supported by either fbsd or
> linux.  I've looked at aic7xxx.c on the latest linux kernel and it does
> not appear to be listed.  Some emails to other fbsd mailing lists has
> lead me to believe it is currenty in beta in the fbsd CAM drivers.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

Since I seem to be first, I'll respond.  The latest aic7xxx drivers all
support the aic-7895, but you may have to do a bit of hand-patchwork to
install the drivers, depending on what kernel your using and how much
you've patched it.  Basically, you need to install new aic7xxx sources
and config information (which are all fairly localized in drivers/scsi),
add a few lines to include/linux/pci.h (or drop in a replacement, if the
diffs aren't significant) and change LOG_BUF_LEN to 32768 in
kernel/printk.c.  After I did these things, I got clean 2.0.33 make and
have unremarkable (that is, perfect) performance on a box with the
7895 onboard (Intel DK440KX motherboard).  There are problems in the
(smp) kernel, but not in the aic7xxx driver as far as I can tell.

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu