aic7895 - 5.0.7 bleibt stehen

Josef Stiegemann josefstiegemann at compuserve.com
Sun Mar 15 00:20:03 PST 1998

Hi,

I've got the driver version 5.0.7 to become access to my UW SCSI Devices.
It's running quit fine, but now (after a few days the system runs) it will
stop and to only way to awake it again is a cold boot. The Disk access LED
from the Mainboard (TYAN THUNDER 2 ATX with onboard 7895) is on when the
system dies.
Do you have any idea to fix this? I think it's only a little adjustment
anywhere in the configuration, but I've no idea where to start.

By the way, at boot time the driver writes:
(scsi0:0:-1:-1) Scanning channel for devices.
(scsi0:0:0:0) Using wide (16 bit) transfers.
(scsi0:0:0:0) Synchronous at 20.0MHz, offset 8.
  Vendor: IBM   Model: DCAS-34330W  Rev: S65A
  Type: Direct Access  ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi 0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0

Why did the driver limit the synchronous transfer to 20 MHz? I think it
should be 40 MHz? The BIOS is enabled to run the drives at 40, but you
don't use it (?).
If this is only a problem in my understanding about scsi, I will sit down
and learn more about it, but if it is an adjustment to your driver, please
let me know where to start testing.

Thanks for your time,
best regards
josef