Your mail

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Wed Mar 11 09:26:48 PST 1998

OK...I accidentally let this one get deleted before I responded and so I'm
going from memory.  However, the problem that you describe sounds quite
familiar.  Specifically, it sounds like on the 2940AU controller with the
BIOS enabled and nothing hooked up that we are getting termination
problems.  The spurious interrupt is probably a "Someone reset channel A"
interrupt caused by a total lack of termination and commands will
continually cause resets on that controller for the same reason.  I don't
know if the 2940AU cards have the ability to do auto termination, but if
they do, go into the BIOS and disable it.  Instead, you need to set the
termination on the card manually.  This really goes for both cards.
Additionally, if you can get me the output of /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0 and 1
when you are booted with the 5.0.7 driver, then I can verify that the 1.30
version of the BIOS puts the termination settings where we expect them in
the SEEPROM (assuming the card has a SEEPROM).  I may be able to get one of
these cards on loan from a local company so I can test this stuff out, but
don't hold your breath.  In the meantime, the termination setting stuff
should work.

BTW, the reason the card works with the BIOS disabled is because whenever
the BIOS is disabled, we use the leftover values on the card instead of
reading from the SEEPROM so if the card set the termination, then we will
honor that.  When the BIOS is enabled, then we get the termination settings
for the card from the BIOS.  If you boot with the aic7xxx=verbose:0xffff
option to the kernel, then it will tell you if we are failing to read a
SEEPROM on that card.  That could be part of the problem.

--

 Doug Ledford  <dledford at dialnet.net>
  Opinions expressed are my own, but