Which driver update to use?

Mike Isely isely at enteract.com
Tue Jun 9 17:19:49 PDT 1998

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Kenneth Crudup wrote:

>   I couldn't find an appropriate patch at all when I did this last weekend.
>   Since 2.0.34 seems to include the 5.0.14 driver, just using the patch
>   against 2.0.33 wasn't likely to work (since 2.0.33 includes a far older
>   driver).  I didn't want to use the 5.0.14 driver either since previous
>   experience with it for me was complete breakage (system wouldn't even
>   boot).  So here's what I did:  I grabbed the full distributions for both
>   5.0.14 and 5.0.18 drivers and expanded them on my system.  Then I used
>   diff to compute a relative patch between those two versions and I applied
>   THAT against a vanilla 2.0.34 Linux source tree.  The patch applied
>   perfectly, everything compiled beautifully, and the system has remained
>   stable with this new kernel ever since.
>
> Why not just overlay the 5.0.18 drivers' files into the 2.0.34 kernel space?

Paranoia mainly.  But also a few of the files in the driver package were
things that weren't specific to the 5.0.18 driver, like for example
linux/drivers/scsi/Config.in.  I wanted to be sure I didn't accidentally
mush anything that might have changed between the 2.0.33 and 2.0.34
kernels.

I never tried the overlay; but I wouldn't trust the results if I did.

> (I don't know if this is possible, just if you'd considered that option, and
> if so, what happened).
>
> 	-Kenny

    POSITIVELY NO       |                             | 03 54 43 4D 75 E5 CC 92
 UNSOLICITED JUNK MAIL! |   isely @ pobox (dot) com   | 71 16 01 E2 B5 F5 C1 E8
                        |   (spam-foiling  address)   |