SCSI Timeout with Adaptec 2940UW Rev. E (Bios 1.32)

Srinivas.Narendula at libnet.com Srinivas.Narendula at libnet.com
Fri Jun 5 06:21:17 PDT 1998

Gerard Metrailler Jr. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I hope this problem has not been resolved lately as I just subscribed to
> this mailinglist ;-)
>
> Here is my problem. I was using a Adaptec 2940 (Bios 1.16) until
> recently and ervery thing was perfect. But I just changed for an Adaptec
> 2940UW Rev. E (Bios 1.32) lately when I bought a Quantum 4.5Gb UW Viking
> disk. Since then, I get SCSI Timeouts when I make a big access under
> Linux.

Try the 5.0.18 aic7xxx driver and let me know if this still happens.  There
are negotiation fixes in there that might make a difference, and there is
still one thing I'm looking into.  Specifically, I suspect some of the
cards and/or motherboard chipset setups don't properly initialize the
STPWLEVEL bit in the DEVCONFIG register at startup.  Currently, the driver
can't set this for the BIOS because at least for motherboards the proper
setting of this bit is implementation specific and we have no way of
checking (I've verified this on at least one motherboard chipset product
where the correct STPWLEVEL setting is 0, while on most aic7xxx based
cards, the correct level is 1).  This can introduce problems since the
correct setting of this bit is vital to making sure that when we actually
enable termination on a chipset, that the termination is *really* turned
on.  This could also have an impact on why some systems seem to never be
able to run without timeouts and reset cycles....

--

 Doug Ledford  <dledford at dialnet.net>
  Opinions expressed are my own, but

NOTE: I'm just now starting to recover from the Linux-Expo.  Most
      importantly, I'm just now getting around to answering a lot
      of my email.  So, if your message has lain around un-answered
      for many days, I apologize.