Dell 410 Workstations and Asus Motherboard systems

Chris Pirih proverbs at wolfenet.com
Fri Jul 24 20:49:34 PDT 1998

At 10:34 AM 07/23/1998 -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Brian Ristuccia wrote:
>> On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>> > The only options I see in the BIOS are to either enable or disable
>> > termination on the controller.  Given that it is a single ended
>> > controller, I'm not sure why they have the disable option (so somebody
>> > can "break" their system?;-).
>>
>> Sometimes the HA will be in the middle of the ribbon:
>>
>>  <|-----------|-----------|--------|----------------|>
>>  terminator   drive       host     drive    terminator
>>  pack                     adaptor                 pack
>
>Ah, you mean that they have a ribbon that plugs into the single
>connector in the middle, but has two ends?  Never seen or used such a
>beast, but that very well may be it.

"Single-ended" does not mean that the adapter only has a cable
going out from it in one direction.  It means that of each pair
of bus lines, one is signal and one is ground.  This is as
opposed to "differential" which uses positive/negative pairs
of lines to carry signals.  Or something like that.

As someone else said, you can plug any of the connectors of
a regular SCSI cable into the adapter, assuming the termination
options allow it.  (I.e., end of cable -> terminated; middle of
cable -> unterminated.)

---
chris