Micropolis 1991w disks and Adaptec 2940 ultra (off topic)

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Wed Jan 21 08:16:49 PST 1998

On 21-Jan-98 Karl Pielorz wrote:
>Well, I guess I should bow to peoples 'working' experiences getting these
>drives to work...
>
>Mine never worked, I still think it might not be supported by 'all' drives
>-
>but if other people have gotten it working, I'm not going to argue...

In all fairness, there was a bug in the linux aic7xxx driver's negotiation
around kernel 2.0.0 through 2.0.24 that *might* have kept certain setups
from working.  And certainly, if you had a wide controller but only a narrow
cable, you were screwed if you didn't set the BIOS to limit the drive to
narrow mode :)  And even then, you could still end up screwed if the drive
initiated its own wide negotiation (I actually tried this once, when I
needed to add a wide Barracuda drive to a 2940UW controller, but I only had
a narrow cable available and I couldn't go get one since it was about 3 in
the morning, needless to say, the results weren't pretty until I made the
SCSI BIOS change, even the identify info was totally wacked, it showed I had
a "S A A E S 1...", you get the point :)

E-Mail: Doug Ledford <dledford at dialnet.net>
Date: 21-Jan-98
Time: 09:13:42