Async negotiation (Was: 2.0.36/5.1.4 and BIOS settings)

Holger.Lenz Holger.Lenz at m.dasa.de
Tue Dec 8 01:38:17 PST 1998

Doug Ledford wrote:
[snippage]
> The 5.1.5 driver does fix a bug where devices that initiate their own
> negotiation would not honor the SEEPROM based settings.  A few people need
[more snippage]
That's probably what I wanted to know in my original post.
My Syquest drive has buggy firmware and will happily negotiate
synchronous transfers even though it hangs the bus if taken up on the
offer. This was not an issue with the 5.1.0pre5 version. Using the 5.1.4
driver, it would end up in synchronous mode, even if sync negotiation
was disabled for the device in the hostadapter BIOS. So I hacked the
driver to leave it in async and (originally) wanted to know if
(1) maybe a further revision of the driver addresses the problem or
(2) someone could have a look at my (crude) patch and tell me how to do
it right
So I guess I'll wait for the 5.1.5 driver and check my mileage again.
Thanks for your time
H.J. Lenz                                   Holger.Lenz at m.dasa.de
Munich                                      holgerlenz at franken1.de
Germany