2.0.36/5.1.4 and BIOS settings

Holger.Lenz Holger.Lenz at m.dasa.de
Tue Dec 1 23:33:07 PST 1998

Hi,
I'm looking for comments on the following issue:

I had problems getting the 5.1.4 driver (Linux 2.0.36) to work with my
Syquest
drive - I believe the little beast is blessed with buggy firmware. It
will
happily negotiate synchronous transfers with the host and then hang the
bus.
It will work under winlose if I disable sync negotiation for the drive
in the
adapter BIOS (2940UW), which is also what happens with the 5.1.0pre5
driver.
I have hacked the 5.1.4 driver to force async transfers for a target if
sync
and wide negotiation are disabled in the BIOS, so the drive is currently
working. What I would like to hear about is
1. Will there be a way to force async transfers in a future revision of
the
driver?
or, if not
2. Will anybody familiar with the aic7xxx code have a look at my patch
(which
I consider to be a nasty hack) and make suggestions as to how this
should be
done properly?

TIA
--
H.J. Lenz                                   Munich
Holger.Lenz at m.dasa.de                       Germany
holgerlenz at franken1.de