SMP and the aic7xxx driver

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Wed Apr 22 09:40:32 PDT 1998

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Warren W. Thompson wrote:

> Alrighty then, I changed the requested #ifs and aside from a warning
> about the pci driver being out of date everything compiled. However,
> upon rebooting I ran into the exact same problem. I guess this means
> there may be a bug in the IO-APIC code. So, what's next?

We've been discussing this somewhat on the linux-smp mailing list on vger.
The problem is the irq mapping when the IO-APIC code is enabled, which is
only under SMP.  So, we are working on it, and hopefully it should be
fixed by .98 or .99, but in the meantime, you will probably need to use UP
instead of SMP.  Hmmmmm, now that I think about it, I assume you are
running as SMP.....but I can't recall exactly if you were one of the
people that was or not.  Duhh....I just looked at the Subject: line, so
yes, compiling as UP should fix your problem for now.  Also, you probably
should put those #if statements back to their original form lest they
cause a patch to fail in the future and it would help if you could get me
the exact model and make of your motherboard since if we can't track this
down, it may need to be blacklisted in the IO-APIC code.