Machine reboot by aic7xxx

Dong Liu dliu at npiww.com
Tue Sep 30 20:08:42 PDT 1997

Hi,

I'm using a old aha-2940 adaptor for my linux, the bios of this
adaptor prints version 1.11S when boot. I have 2 hard disks and a
cdrom connected to this controller, my problem is whenever I try to
access two devices on the scsi bus simultaneously, like cp -r a
directory from one hard disk to another hard disk or use cdda2wav copy
audio track from the cdrom to a hard disk, my machine gets reset and
reboot. There is no kernel printk's either on the console or
in /var/adm/messages.

Those are the kernel configurations, and I'm using 2.1.56.
CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX=y
CONFIG_AIC7XXX_TAGGED_QUEUEING=y
CONFIG_OVERRIDE_CMDS=y
CONFIG_AIC7XXX_CMDS_PER_LUN=16
CONFIG_AIC7XXX_PAGE_ENABLE=y
# CONFIG_AIC7XXX_PROC_STATS is not set
CONFIG_AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY=15

And output from /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0
Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 4.1/3.2
Compile Options:
  AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY    : 15
  AIC7XXX_CMDS_PER_LUN   : 16
  AIC7XXX_TAGGED_QUEUEING: Enabled
  AIC7XXX_PAGE_ENABLE    : Enabled
  AIC7XXX_PROC_STATS     : Disabled

Adapter Configuration:
          SCSI Adapter: Adaptec AHA-294X SCSI host adapter
                        (AIC-787x chipset)
              Host Bus: Single
               Base IO: 0xfc00
        Base IO Memory: 0xffbff000