Adaptec Fast-Wide & IBM DHFS Drive

Mike Bilow mikebw at bilow.bilow.uu.ids.net
Sat Sep 27 16:04:46 PDT 1997

Steven N. Hirsch wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 SNH> The machine is a Cyrix 6x86 unit with built-in Adaptec 7880
* * *
 SNH> With tagged queueing disabled, I can pound on it for days.

I can tell you from experience that the 6x86 has trouble on many motherboards
when L2 cache is enabled.  You might test with L2 cache disabled to see if it
has any effect.

On the other hand, I can't see why L2 cache would relate specifically to tagged
queueing, although that is possible, nor why tagged queueing would work on your
Seagate but not your IBM if the problem is motherboard-related.

-- Mike