AHA-2940 Ultra/Ultra Wide

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Mon Sep 15 06:39:47 PDT 1997

--------

> At the moment I have:
> 2940 - disk 0 - disk 1 - Jaz.
> Someone suggested that I turn the disk drives upside down such that
> pin 1 faces the other way, that way I can run my scsi cable so that I
> have 2940 - Jaz - disk 1 - disk 0, if you know what I mean.

I don't know how your space requirements go, but I do know this.  I had a
machine, long ago, that averaged about a 7 day uptime before it got SCSI bus
errors and went down.  It had a 2940 and two 4GB Barracuda drives arranged
so that the cable went as such:

2940 -> 1/2 twist -> Barracuda on top -> 1/2 twist -> Barracuda on bottom

after re-arranging the cable and termination so things went as so:

2940 -> no twist -> Barracuda on bottom -> no twist -> Barracuda on top

with no other changes what so ever, uptime went to an average of roughly 60
days.  That's how sensitive the 2940 cards can be to cabling/termination
issues.  This was a 2940 UW controller and these were wide Barracuda drives.
* Doug Ledford                      *   Unix, Novell, Dos, Windows 3.x,     *
* dledford at dialnet.net    873-DIAL  *     WfW, Windows 95 & NT Technician   *
*   Springfield, MO and surrounding * Usenet news, e-mail and shell account.*
*   communities.  Sign-up online at * Web page creation and hosting, other  *
*   873-9000 V.34                   * services available, call for info.    *