Adaptec driver broken on 2740T

Daniel M. Eischen deischen at iworks.InterWorks.org
Sun Sep 7 19:17:19 PDT 1997

> I have bad news.  The adaptec aic7xxx driver in Linux 2.0.31-pre-9 is
> broken for my EISA bus 2740T controller.  It seems to scan the drives on
> bus A properly, then goes into an endless loop of kernel paging errors and
> scsi resets when attempting to scan bus B (which has nothing on it, BTW).
>
> I reverted back to the older driver to test other aspects of pre-9 (looks
> fine so far..).
>
> You certainly don't want this driver included as-is in the final 2.0.31
> release, though.

Well, there are too many bugs with the previous driver, so unless
someone with a 274x can figure it out ;-)

Doug Ledford found one bug that may be causing problems.  It is in
aic7xxx_register where we do this:

  for (i = 0; i <= NUMBER(p->device_status); i++)
  {
    p->device_status[i].commands_sent = 0;
    p->device_status[i].flags = 0;
    p->device_status[i].active_cmds = 0;
    p->device_status[i].last_reset = 0;
  }

Change the first line to this:

  for (i = 0; i < NUMBER(p->device_status); i++)

It's on or abouts like 5011 in aic7xxx.c.

Dan Eischen
deischen at iworks.InterWorks.org