2940 and 75MHz CPU clock

William Wong wwong at wiley.csusb.edu
Sat Sep 6 01:46:12 PDT 1997

> Hi there,
>
> Has anyone on this list been able to get the
> 2940 SCSI controller to work with a 75MHz CPU clock?
>
> The controller always hangs when there is heavy
> disk access. I tried many things and is still
> unable to resolve the problem.
>
> I tried that abort/reset patch, which reset the
> controller alright, but this is very annonying
> as it resets very, very often.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Hansel

I have an ASUS P/I-P55T2P4 (revision 3.10) motherboard with an Adaptec 2940UW
controller (firmware 1.25S2) on it.  I'm running the INTEL 133Mhz CPU at
2*83Mhz for an effective speed of 166Mhz.  I've had no problems running the
Winstone 97, WinBench 97, and lots of FreeBSD makeworlds.  My older Adaptec
2940W controller would not work even at the 2*75Mhz speed.  Besides, make sure
you have good memory if you want to push the limits with your hardware.  My
favorites are from Toshiba and Micron.

--
William T. Wong
Cal State University, San Bernardino