what's this option do?

Daniel M. Eischen deischen at iworks.InterWorks.org
Thu Oct 2 20:25:00 PDT 1997

> I've been picking through the options.i386 on my FreeBSD -current, and
> discovered this option "AHC_SHARE_SCBS".  It doesn't appear in the ahc(4)
> man page.  Anyone know what this might do for performance or stabillity?

Unless you have a 3985, I doubt it will do anything for you.  If you
do have a 3985, it will attempt to share the bank of 255 SCBs that
are common to all 3 controllers of the 3985.  Each of these controllers
also has it's own internal bank of 16 SCBs which is used by default.
Note that this "SCB sharing" code does not yet work, but the option is
there to allow someone with a 3985 to play around with it.

Dan Eischen
deischen at iworks.InterWorks.org