Weekly Status Report #3: Loader quality of life

From: Connor Bailey <connorbailey777_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2022 23:57:03 UTC
Hi,

This week I made various platform-dependent changes to extend support
for special keys/modifier combos under UEFI, BIOS, and u-boot.
For UEFI it was just a matter of translating the UEFI scancodes/modifier
mask into an ANSI escape.
For BIOS, I had to jump through some hoops since scancodes change based
on modifiers (and didn't follow any patterns), but it was nothing a
lookup table couldn't fix.
u-boot was a bit of a different story though, since it already provides
input via ANSI escapes, but doesn't implement all special keys or all
key/modifiers combos. Beyond needing upstream changes, I also ran into
the problem of my changes not having any effect.
Both physical and virtualized hardware didn't seem to reach my code
(despite it being present in the binary). I assume this is simply for a
u-boot/non-x86 specific reason I don't fully understand yet. Since I
didn't specifically plan for u-boot support in my proposal, I'm just
going to let this problem stew while I get more familiar with the
non-x86 booting world and try again later on.

Connor